Wednesday, April 18, 2012

DIY, how to complete a fire pit....

Okay, so I posted our fire pit on here earlier.  I have now completed the area with some more DIY projects.  In the below pic is what the completed area looks like.  I love the rustic imperfect style of it.  All of the items were either something we already had or made from materials that were around the yard. 


Let me explain the above pic a little bit.  You have already seen the fire pit.  That is made of brick and river rock.  Then I have the glider bench.  This was my mom's and she had put it in on her thrift sale so I bought it from her.  It was painted/stained brown.  I sanded it down and loved that I didn't get all of the old stain off and decided to keep it the way it was and just sealed it with polyurethane to protect it from the outside elements.  On the end of the bench are 2 log blocks.  One taller and one shorter.  These were in the backyard as this property use to have a wood stove for heat.  They make great end table or drink holders.  There is also a solo stump that is used for seating.  It was perfect size for one of the kids to be able to sit on.  However, it was charred as someone must have tried to burn it in a fire before.  I chipped off what char I could and then for the seat I traced and cut out a mock cover out of some scrap luan board we had.  This way someone can sit on it without getting the char on their britches.  The outdoor elements will eventually discolor the cover and it won't be so bright.  Then finally are the 2 little benches.  I made these all out of scrap wood.  Below is a closer pic of one of them.



With these there were some old 4x4 posts that were on the fence that had broke off.  I cut them to size (15 inches) and attached them using 2 3/4" wood screws to a piece of wood that was cut out of a tree at one time and made into planks.  I cut this plank to 26" in width.  I have several of these planks around the yard and cannot wait to make something else with them.  These are very simple but had that touch of rustic that I wanted.  Plus, they are very mobile and can be removed when mowing and if not quite close enough to the fire to make those oh so awesome s'mores. 

I have mention this before but I absolutely love making functional items out of scraps or "trash".  Recycling or repurposing has become a large part of my life and I am absolutely loving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment