Tuesday, March 20, 2012

DIY, how to make a teen girls bedroom into a hot pink and zebra haven.

So we moved into the house we live in November.  We have been doing some changes to it mainly with room color.  My daughter is 14 and her room was already painted hot pink with white trim.  Very bright.  I thought she was going to want us to change the color but she didn't.  She said she likes the hot pink and wanted to add zebra print to it. Well that's all she had to say. 

I wish I had taken some before pics of her room but I didn't.  I will try to describe what was done with each pic. 

I have 3 pics that I will have on  here to show my daughters room and what has been done. 

The first one is of the her vanity area.  In this little nook area, the walls were not painted but had panelling on them.  For now we will leave it that way.  This vanity was my Grandmother's dresser.  I sanded all old varnish off, cleaned, and re-stained with an Ebony color.  I also, took all off old hardware off and spray painted them metallic silver. Then there is a little throw rug, zebra print sheers on windows, and a vanity bench that was made from an old broken dining room chair.


As mentioned above, this vanity bench was made from an old broken dining room chair.  The back was cut off, seat was taken off and reupholstered with left over fabric from bed skirt.  I raised the seat by 2 inches by putting a 2" piece of scrap wood on seat frame.  Cut it to fit with a jig saw and and attached to leg frames.  Then I painted that scrap wood, sanded and stained legs and frame.  reattached the seat to the new piece added.  My daughter is a little taller so I had to raise the seat on it.

This next pic is of her bed area.  She had a twin size bed but wanted a full size.  We were given a full size mattress in excellent condition but had no frame.  So I built a platform for her.  I used 2 x 4's for the legs secured together to form a "L" shape.  2 x 6's for the frame and support beams and 3/4" plywood for the top.  Well that platform isn't going anywhere.  But it was an eyesore to look at it without a skirt.  With my daughter being a bit taller, the measures about 21" that is pretty high when a 12" mattress is added to it.  I would suggest most platform heights to be around 16".  With the platform being 21" I had a hard time finding a bed skirt to fit it and being cost effective.  A bedskirt that was bought would have ran me around $50....my reaction....hmmmm "NO." So I ordered some close out fabric and was able to make the skirt at a fraction of the price.  My daughter had picked out and purchased the sheet set and body pillow covers herself.  She also made the blanket.  It is a fleece tie blanket with hot pink on one side and zebra print on the other.  Again, we have the zebra sheer curtains, she even has a pair zebra slippers that are in the pic.  The items on the wall are some of her personal stuff.  Her cast from when she broke her wrist and her favorite poster.



There are a few more things we will need to do in here.  There is one area of the room that I have not shown you yet.  I will post that when I am finished with it.  But we are thinking about building a trophy/medal display out of a wood pallet.  We also need to strip, sand, and stain her chest of drawers.  So please stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment